Family Law

 :: Adoption
 :: Adoption and Paternity Issues
 :: Alimony and Spousal Support

 :: Annulments
 :: Business Ownership and Divorce
 :: Child Custody Laws
 :: Child Support
 :: Child Support Guidelines

 :: Contested Divorce
 :: Collaborative Divorce
 :: Custody and Visitation
 :: Division of Marital Property
 :: Divorce

 :: Divorce FAQs
 :: Divorce Planning

 :: Family Law FAQs
 :: Fathers' Rights
 :: Grandparents Rights
 :: Grounds for Divorce in Tennessee
 :: High Net Worth Divorce

 :: Legal Separation
 :: Mediation and Collaborative Law
 :: Military Divorce

 :: Parental Relocation
 :: Paternity
 :: Prenup/Postnup
 :: Post-Divorce Modification
 :: Relocation of Children and Visitation
 :: Same Sex Divorce

 :: Types of Child Custody

 :: Uncontested Divorce
 :: Uncontested vs. Contested Divorce
 :: Unpaid Child Support
 :: Why hire a Tennessee Divorce Lawyer?

Criminal Law
 :: College Students
 :: Criminal Law FAQS
 :: Date Rape

 :: Domestic Abuse
 :: Domestic Assault
 :: Domestic Violence
 :: Drug Offenses
 :: Drug Possession
 :: Drug Sales and Distribution
 :: DUI
 :: DUI FAQs
 :: DUI with a Minor
 :: DUI with Drugs
 :: Expungement
 :: Felonies
 :: Illegal Search and Seizure
 :: Jail Alternatives
 :: Internet Crimes
 :: Marijuana Possession
 :: Providing Alcohol to a Minor
 :: Public Intoxication
 :: Repeat DUI Offenders
 :: Sex Offenses

 :: Suspended License

 :: Tennessee DUI Penalties
 :: Theft
 :: Traffic Violations

 :: Types of Drugs
 :: Underage Drinking
 :: Underage DUI
 :: Violation of Probation
 :: White Collar Crimes
 :: Rutherford County

Personal Injury
 :: Auto Accident FAQs
 :: Bicycle Accidents
 :: Birth Injuries
 :: Car Accidents
 :: Commercial Truck Accidents
 :: Construction Accidents
 :: Distracted Driving Accidents
Dog & Animal Bites
 :: Drunk Driving Accidents
 :: Emergency Vehicle Accidents
 :: Falling Objects on Construction
 :: Fatal Accident / Wrongful Death
 :: Motorcycle Accidents
 :: Motor Vehicle Accidents
 :: Pedestrian Accidents
 :: Personal Injury FAQs
 :: Premises Liability
 :: Serious Car Accidents
 :: Slip & Fall
 :: Stages of a Case
 :: Swimming Pool Accidents
 :: Traumatic Brain Injuries in Auto Accidents
 :: Trucking Accidents
 :: Uninsured Motorist Accidents
 :: What Causes Car Accidents?
 :: What is Premises Liability?
 :: Wrong Way Accidents
 :: Wrong Way Collisions





At the Law Office of David L. Scott, we represent people injured in accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles and pedestrians, to injuries caused by unsafe premises, negligent repairs, or defective equipment. Our clients have asked us countless questions about their rights following an accident, and the questions that we hear most often include:

  • What types of accidents and injuries can I sue over?

  • Who can I sue?

  • What should I do after an accident?

  • How much time do I have to sue after my accident?

  • What kind of compensation can I recover?

What Kind Of Accidents and Injuries Can I Sue Over?

Personal injury law encompasses a broad range of injuries and circumstances, but essentially a person who has suffered an injury as the result of an accident can sue when it can be established that another party breached a duty owed to the plaintiff, and that the breach caused the accident. Thus, a slip-and-fall accident may occur because a property owner failed to clean up or warn you about a slippery floor, or an auto accident may occur because a driver failed to stop for a red light, and struck your car as you entered an intersection. In both instances, you were owed a duty that party which could have prevented the accident that caused your injury.

Of course, personal injury law becomes much more complex when questions arise concerning exactly what duty was owed, whether that duty was in fact breached, or whether other factors may have caused the accident.

Who Can I Sue?

The short answer is that you can sue the party who is at fault. However, fault is not always immediately apparent. Sometimes the party being sued argues that the injured party caused the accident.

Tennessee follows a doctrine of “comparative fault”, meaning that a court can find that both parties in an action partially caused the accident at issue and assigning a percentage value to both parties to indicate their relative negligence, and to calculate their relative liability. Therefore, if an accident was found to have been 20% your fault, and 80% the fault of the opposing party, the opposing party is then liable for 80% of your total damages.

It is important to note that, as a comparative fault state, Tennessee differs from those states that allow a party to collect damages after a finding that the accident was at least 50% their fault. In Tennessee, an accident victim can be compensated only when they are found to be 49% percent at fault or lower.

What Should I Do After An Accident?

Besides seeking proper medical treatment for any injury suffered in an accident, it is important to gather as documentation as possible relating to the accident as possible. This includes:

  • Report the accident. Auto accidents should be reported to the police; accidents occurring in a place of business or similar types of premises should be reported to an on-site supervisor or property manager.

  • Photograph the accident scene, including any damaged property.

  • Note comments made at the scene by witnesses, and gathering their names and contact information

  • Take notes of the accident scene; for example, if occurring outdoors, note the weather or road conditions, if indoors, note the lighting conditions or the presence of any posted warnings.

Pursuing a personal injury claim is often fact-intensive, and immediate documentation of this nature can help your case quite a bit.

How Much Time Do I Have To Sue After My Accident?

Tennessee law provides a one-year statute of limitations for injured people to file claims. What this means is that once you have been injured, you have exactly one year to file a claim before your right to seek compensation permanently expires. Because of this, it is important to gather and document as much information as you can immediately following an accident, and to contact a Murfreesboro accident attorney as soon as possible.

What Kind Of Compensation Can I Expect to Recover?

A Tennessee accident attorney can help you obtain compensation for the following types of damages caused by an accident:

  • Medical bills, past and future

  • Lost wages, past and future

  • Property damage

  • Pain and suffering

If you have been injured in any type of accident, an experienced Murfreesboro accident attorney can help you. The knowledgeable Tennessee accident attorney at the Law Office of David L. Scott is dedicated to helping injured clients recover the compensation they deserve. Please don’t hesitate—we urge you to contact us today for a free consultation at 615-896-7656, or online, to help you determine your rights to compensation.  





2 Locations to Serve You

722 South Church Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Phone: 615-896-7656

Map and Directions


4322 Harding Pike #417
Nashville, TN 37205

Phone: 615-203-8062

Map and Directions


Based in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, we are pleased to serve clients throughout Middle Tennessee in Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Franklin, Brentwood, Nashville, Woodbury, McMinnville, Manchester, Shelbyville, Lebanon, Mount Juliet and other communities in Rutherford County, Williamson County, Cannon County, Bedford County, Davidson County, Wilson County and Coffee County.


Disclaimer  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Policy

Lawyer Marketing Services By : Fuel Web Marketing