Family Law

 :: Adoption
 :: Adoption and Paternity Issues
 :: Alimony and Spousal Support

 :: Annulments
 :: Business Ownership and Divorce
 :: Child Custody Laws
 :: Child Support
 :: Child Support Guidelines

 :: Contested Divorce
 :: Collaborative Divorce
 :: Custody and Visitation
 :: Division of Marital Property
 :: Divorce

 :: Divorce FAQs
 :: Divorce Planning

 :: Family Law FAQs
 :: Fathers' Rights
 :: Grandparents Rights
 :: Grounds for Divorce in Tennessee
 :: High Net Worth Divorce

 :: Legal Separation
 :: Mediation and Collaborative Law
 :: Military Divorce

 :: Parental Relocation
 :: Paternity
 :: Prenup/Postnup
 :: Post-Divorce Modification
 :: Relocation of Children and Visitation
 :: Same Sex Divorce

 :: Types of Child Custody

 :: Uncontested Divorce
 :: Uncontested vs. Contested Divorce
 :: Unpaid Child Support
 :: Why hire a Tennessee Divorce Lawyer?

Criminal Law
 :: College Students
 :: Criminal Law FAQS
 :: Date Rape

 :: Domestic Abuse
 :: Domestic Assault
 :: Domestic Violence
 :: Drug Offenses
 :: Drug Possession
 :: Drug Sales and Distribution
 :: DUI
 :: DUI FAQs
 :: DUI with a Minor
 :: DUI with Drugs
 :: Expungement
 :: Felonies
 :: Illegal Search and Seizure
 :: Jail Alternatives
 :: Internet Crimes
 :: Marijuana Possession
 :: Providing Alcohol to a Minor
 :: Public Intoxication
 :: Repeat DUI Offenders
 :: Sex Offenses

 :: Suspended License

 :: Tennessee DUI Penalties
 :: Theft
 :: Traffic Violations

 :: Types of Drugs
 :: Underage Drinking
 :: Underage DUI
 :: Violation of Probation
 :: White Collar Crimes
 :: Rutherford County

Personal Injury
 :: Auto Accident FAQs
 :: Bicycle Accidents
 :: Birth Injuries
 :: Car Accidents
 :: Commercial Truck Accidents
 :: Construction Accidents
 :: Distracted Driving Accidents
Dog & Animal Bites
 :: Drunk Driving Accidents
 :: Emergency Vehicle Accidents
 :: Falling Objects on Construction
 :: Fatal Accident / Wrongful Death
 :: Motorcycle Accidents
 :: Motor Vehicle Accidents
 :: Pedestrian Accidents
 :: Personal Injury FAQs
 :: Premises Liability
 :: Serious Car Accidents
 :: Slip & Fall
 :: Stages of a Case
 :: Swimming Pool Accidents
 :: Traumatic Brain Injuries in Auto Accidents
 :: Trucking Accidents
 :: Uninsured Motorist Accidents
 :: What Causes Car Accidents?
 :: What is Premises Liability?
 :: Wrong Way Accidents
 :: Wrong Way Collisions




Murfreesboro Lawyer Protects the Relationship Between Grandparents and Grandchildren

Tennessee grandparents have the right to visitation with their grandchildren

The bonds grandparents form with their grandchildren are some of the most precious bonds that families ever form. Unfortunately, turmoil between parents can leave grandchildren suffering the loss of their relationship with their grandparents. Our family law attorneys at the Law Office of David L. Scott protect the close family relationships of Murfreesboro grandparents with compassion and determination. You have rights as a grandparent, and we work vigorously to protect your rights as a grandparent in Tennessee.

When can grandparents petition for visitation in Tennessee?

There are several circumstances that entitle grandparents in Tennessee to petition for visitation rights. The state legislature has passed a statute that identifies some of the situations where grandparents can petition Murfreesboro family courts for an order to protect their visitation rights. An experienced family law attorney can help guide you through the process of filing for an order to protect your right to maintain your relationship with your grandkids. Grandparents in Tennessee may be entitled to petition for visitation when:

  • One parent is deceased
  • Parents are divorced, legally separated, or were never married
  • Visitation was ordered by a court in another state
  • One parent has been missing for a minimum of six months

·     The child lived in the grandparent's home for at least 12 months and was subsequently removed from the home by the parent(s).

·     The child and grandparent maintained a close relationship for at least 12 months immediately preceding severance of the relationship by the parent(s), and severance of the relationship will likely cause substantial harm to the child.

Not only are biological grandparents entitled to file for visitation rights in Tennessee; spouses of biological grandparents and the parents of an adoptive parent can also go to court for visitation rights.

How do Tennessee courts decide whether to award grandparent visitation?

The ultimate determination in a grandparent visitation rights petition is whether or not ordering the visitation would present danger of substantial harm to the child. The “substantial harm” does not need to be a physical harm to the child. The harms courts often look to prevent in grandparents’ visitation rights cases are emotional harms. Murfreesboro courts can be compelled to find that a cessation of a strong relationship with a child is significant enough to cause substantial harm and award visitation. The outcome of these cases usually comes down to whether you can present enough significant facts to persuade the court that your relationship with your grandchildren is significant and important to the future health and well-being of the child. Hire the experienced team of family law attorneys at the Law Office of David L. Scott to give you sound legal guidance through your grandparent visitation rights dispute.

Contact a Murfreesboro grandparents rights attorney today for a free initial consultation

The team of family law attorneys at the Law Office of David L. Scott give you compassionate guidance through the process and are dedicated to protecting your relationships with your grandchildren. To schedule an appointment with one of our family law attorneys, please call us at 615-896-7656 or contact us online.




2 Locations to Serve You

722 South Church Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Phone: 615-896-7656

Map and Directions


4322 Harding Pike #417
Nashville, TN 37205

Phone: 615-203-8062

Map and Directions


Based in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, we are pleased to serve clients throughout Middle Tennessee in Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Franklin, Brentwood, Nashville, Woodbury, McMinnville, Manchester, Shelbyville, Lebanon, Mount Juliet and other communities in Rutherford County, Williamson County, Cannon County, Bedford County, Davidson County, Wilson County and Coffee County.


Disclaimer  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Policy

Lawyer Marketing Services By : Fuel Web Marketing